Since its foundation in 2010, ECES has been awarded an important number of contracts for promoting sustainable democratic development, mobilising a grand total of more than 124 million Euros (124.944.027 million Euros).
ECES has benefited from the financial contributions of over 30 donors that have supported and enabled its provision of advisory services, operational support and management of large projects in the electoral and democracy assistance field.
The main funding partner by far has been by far the European Union, which has awarded contracts to ECES across its different financial instruments, including:
- European Development Fund (EDF 40.243.379 €);
- Instrument contributing to Stability and Peace (ICSP 21.376.399 €);
- European Neighbourhood Instrument (ENI 12.737.995 €);
- European Instrument for Democracy and Human Rights (EIDHR 7.229.938 €);
- Development Cooperation Instrument (DCI 3.455.860 €).
- EU Trust Fund for Africa (EUTF 3.500.000€)
- Neighbourhood, Development and International Coop. Instrument (NDICI 6.796.750€)
The EU Member States represent the second-largest type of funding partner. Among these, Germany has been the largest donor, awarding ECES more than 17.394.312 € (which includes 13.9 million € contributions from the German Development Bank (KFW) for the EU-funded projects EURECS and EURECS+ Ethiopia) followed by France (3.012.000 €), Italy (2.892.350 €), Denmark (1.633.383 €), Austria (700.000 €), Luxembourg (500.000 €) and Ireland (200.000 €).
Other key funding partners include:
- Various international and multi-governmental organisations including the European Space Agency – ESA, and the International Organization for Migration;
- Regional networks active in the field of elections, such as the International Organization of La Francophonie – OIF, the French-Speaking Electoral Knowledge Network - RECEF and the Central African School of Electoral Administration – EFEAC;
- Non-EU Member States, including the United States, Australia, and Canada;
- Different public institutions such as NGOs, Electoral Management Bodies, Universities and think tanks;
- Private companies for service contracts mainly in the context of the framework contracts sistem of the European Union.
Our quest to deliver electoral assistance worldwide while promoting European values through a distinct European delivery mechanism is constantly growing. ECES is committed to continuing its contribution to democratic and electoral processes around the world. This has been achieved both through technical and financial support.
With reference to the latter, we have contributed back to the budget of European Union-funded projects an overall amount of around 2,4 million Euros (2,404,384 €) from our own core funds. In particular, ECES has contributed to the co-financing of the following EU projects:
* This amount includes a 10 million € contribution from KFW to the EU funded project EURECS Ethiopia, as well as a 3.9 million € contribution from KFW through the EU Delegation to Ethiopia for EURECS+ Ethiopia.