PEV Ethiopia supports the Ethiopian elections' environment and prevents elections-related violence.
The Prevention, Mitigation and Management of Election-related Conflicts and Potential Violence (PEV) Ethiopia project was launched in June 2019, to establish a coalition of like-minded non-state actors (NSAs) to form a stronger voice in political and electoral processes in Ethiopia. The NSA coalition established under the project is capacitated and closely assisted in carrying out activities that cumulatively contribute to the prevention, mitigation and management of election related conflicts and potential violence in the run up to, and following, the scheduled 2020 elections.
PEV Ethiopia aims to fill a void created in the country over the last decades by using the 2020 elections as the platform where newly acquired skills can be tested. In light of the reform process and opened space for NSAs, it is essential that these actors receive substantial support to make a meaningful contribution allowing for self-sufficiency beyond this action and following the 2020 electoral cycle.
The action recognises the unrivalled impact that a coordinated and targeted NSA coalition may have. Therefore, the NSA coalition will be the main delivery mechanism through which the project will implement activities, closely assisted by project lead, ECES, and associates. As such, the NSA coalition will therefore not only receive capacity building and institutional support but also on-the-job training by planning, implementing and evaluating activities foreseen within this project.
This action is built around seven interconnected result areas, which follow:
- Production and dissemination of base-line data, with policy relevance;
- Establishment and capacity building of an NSA coalition, and of a wider span of NSAs, in election observation;
- Skills enhancement in leadership and conflict management, media monitoring and journalist capacity building, not limited to the NSA coalition;
- NSA-led election conflict prevention, mitigation and management activities spanning from grassroots conflict coordinators to an informal, flexible mediation group of elders;
- Capitalisation on existing early warning structures; reinforcement of electoral conflict prevention capacities; establishment of a distinct election conflict early warning by merging into what already exists and fill the gaps;
- NSA-led election situation room;
- Civic and voter education outreach and NSA-led dialogue with traditional structures exploring the role of youth in pro-peace messaging.
Please visit our official website for the project: www.democracy-support.eu/pev