MEDIA ROUNDTABLE ON ELECTORAL REFORMS
As part of our EU Funded Programme “Support to Democratic Governance in Nigeria” (EU-SDGN), and in partnership with the EU Delegation in Nigeria and Yiaga Africa, ECES was pleased to organise the Media Roundtable on Electoral Reforms.
The event, which took place on Thursday June 25, 2020 from 10.30am to 12.30pm, aimed at promoting discourse on the role of the media in promoting electoral reforms.
Held under the theme "Media as Catalysts of Best Democratic Practices: Yiaga Africa-ECES/EU-SDGN Town hall meeting on electoral reforms in focus", the webinar brought together some 90 male and female journalists and editors from various broadcast, print and online media.
Participating media experts included Mr. Hamza Idris, Editor of Daily Trust; Mr. Taiwo Gorge, Editor, The Cable; Dr. Biodun Ogidan, Nigeria Community Radio Coalition; Mrs. Mary Atolagbe, Secretary, Nigerian Guild of Editors/Deputy Director Digital Media Voice of Nigeria (VON); Mr. Imoni Amarere, Executive Director, AIT and Mr. Eze Anaba, Editor, Vanguard, among others.
The event also entailed opening remarks by Dr. Akin Akingbulu, Executive Director, IMS; Mrs. Laolu Olawumi, Programme Manager, EU-SDGN and Manji Wilson – Coordination Advisor/Electoral Administration Expert, ECES and background notes from Mr. Samson Itodo, Executive Director of YIAGA Africa.
The full agenda of the event below:
Date: Thursday June 25, 2020
Time: 10.30am –12.30pm
10-30 to 10-40AM
Opening Remarks by:
· Dr. Akin Akingbulu, Executive Director, IMS
· Mrs. Laolu Olawumi Programme Manager, EU-SDGN
· Manji Wilson, Coordination Advisor/Electoral Administration Expert, ECES
10.40 – 10-50AM
Background note by:
· Mr. Samson Itodo, Executive Director of YIAGA Africa
10.50 – 11.30AM
Contributions by Panelists:
· Mr. Hamza Idris, Editor of Daily Trust
· Mr. Gorge Taiwo, Editor of The Cable
· Dr. Mrs. Biodun Ogidan, Nigeria Community Radio Coalition
· Mrs. Mary Atolagbe, Secretary, Nigerian Guild of Editors/Deputy Director Digital Media Voice of Nigeria (VON)
· Mr. Imoni Amarere, Executive Director, AIT
· Mr. Abdulateef Abubakar Jos, Editor, Freedom Radio, Kano
· Mr. Eze Anaba, Editor, Vanguard
Mr. Rotimi Oyekanmi, Chief Press Secretary to INEC Chairman
Mr. Jake Epelle, Executive Director, Albino Foundation
11.40 AM– 12.10PM
Contributions (Comments & questions) by participants
12.10 – 12:20 PM
Brief responses by panelists
12.20 – 12.30PM
Closing remarks by:
Kaleem Khan, Country Director, BBC Media Actions
Dapo Olorunyomi, Executive Director, PTCIJ