From the 7th to the 8th of February 2024, ECES organised a 2-day’s workshop with the Civil Society Organisations (CSOs) that actively collaborated with the National Electoral Board of Ethiopia (NEBE) during the 6th General Election in Ethiopia.
This training aims to strengthen the CSO’s engagement in civic and voter education (CVE) initiatives and increase their understanding of the existing compliance mechanisms for cooperation with NEBE. It will count with the presence of the expected 50 participants, equitably from regions outside and inside of Addis Ababa.
The CVE department played a vital role during and after the 6th General Election in the Federal Republic of Ethiopia, engaging with stakeholders through effective partnerships with CSOs and other collaborators. Over 160 CSOs were accredited to provide voters' education, enhancing citizens' participation in the election process.
Built upon the continuing support that ECES has committed to provide to NEBE, this workshop tackles these challenges by specifically:
- Enhance the understanding of CSOs on the importance and objectives of civic and voter education.
- Build the capacity of CSOs to effectively plan, implement, and evaluate civic and voter education programs.
- Equip CSOs with practical skills for effective planning, implementation, and evaluation of civic and voter education.
- Encourage collaboration and networking among CSOs to amplify the impact of civic and voter education efforts.
- Increase their understanding of the mandatory compliance mechanisms available for cooperation with NEBE.
- Acquaint yourself with the responsibilities of accredited civil societies in implementing voter education directives and ethical guidelines.
- Familiarise yourself with fundamental principles that should be applied during voter education activities.
- Acquaint accredited CSOs about their responsibilities in conducting inclusive voters’ education.
ECES is proud to support NEBE, particularly through the EURECS project, which represents the EU's commitment to the democratic development and good governance of the Federal Republic of Ethiopia.