ECES supports the Nigerian government's efforts to better democracy ahead of 2019 elections.
The EU Support to Democratic Governance in Nigeria - Support to INEC (EU SDGN) project aims to complement the efforts of the government to improve and strengthen democracy, especially with regards to the 2019 general elections. The project was designed in cooperation with all relevant stakeholders in Nigeria, taking into account the findings and recommendations of the latest EU EOM, as well as INEC internal review and report on the 2015 general elections.
Within the 11th European Development Fund (EDF), national authorities renewed their commitment to cooperate in the pursuit and achievement of the objectives foreseen in the EU-SDGN 2016 – 2020 Project, which is part of a broader EU programme in Nigeria composed of the following five components: Support to INEC; Support to the National Assembly; Support to Political Parties; Support to Media; and Support to CSOs.
The project, based on the EURECS strategy, contributes to the reinforcement of democracy in Nigeria through building strong, effective and legitimate democratic institutions. In particular, it aims to:
- Enhance the capacities of the INEC and other electoral stakeholders to deliver services effectively;
- Strengthen INEC’s strategic planning, policy framework and operational capacity;
- Boost INEC’s internal communication and bolster the institutional mechanisms to engage with stakeholders.
EU SDGN is composed of five components, each of them with an allocated budget:
- Component 1: Support to the Independent National Electoral Commission for an amount of 13 million euros with an additional contribution of 5% of the total of Component 1 from ECES core funds.
- Component 2: Support to the National Assembly implemented by the Policy and Legal Advocacy Centre (PLAC) and Youth Initiative for Advocacy, Growth and Advancement (YIAGA) for an amount of 3 million euros.
- Component 3: Support to Political Parties implemented by the Political Party Leadership and Policy Development Centre of the National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies (NIPSS) for an amount of 2.7 million euros.
- Component 4: Support to Media implemented by the Institute for Media and Society and the International Press Centre for amount of 2.6 million euros.
- Component 5: Support to Civil Society Organisations implemented by the BBC Media Action, CLEEN Foundation, Westminster Foundation for Democracy and the Albino Foundation for an amount of 3 million euros.
Please visit our official website for the project: www.democracy-support.eu/nigeria