Last week, ahead of the Edo State Governorship elections slated for September 19th, ECES supported the organisation of a peace accord between all candidates.
The peace accord signing process was initiated and led by the National Peace Committee chaired by Former Head of State, Gen. Abdulsalam Abubakar and convened by his Lordship Bishop Matthew Hassan Kukah. ECES joined the The kukah Centre , Yiaga Africa and other partners to support this process.
Here are some commitments candidates made:
- "To admonish our party members and our teeming followers to refrain from insults, intimidations, incitement and violence, and to conduct themselves in accordance with the rule of law after the announcement of the results"
- "To publicly condemn acts of violence and their instigators and perpetrators"
- "To respect that the results can only be announced by INEC Nigeria , and to accept the outcome of the vote as long as it is adjudged to be free, fair and credible, devoid of intimidation and conducted in accordance with the provisions of the law"
- "To support peaceful, transparent and credible electoral processes and abide by the outcome of the election results"
- "In the event of any disputes that may arise, to follow due process by resorting to the courts of law, and to act in a spirit of statesmanship, putting the country first before individual or party interest"