On, 16th February 2022, the European Centre for Electoral Support hosts a High-Level dialogue focused on “Strengthening the Capacities of Electoral Stakeholders in Africa within the context of the European Union Partnership with the African Union”.
This high-level meeting comes at a critical time when the global community is facing new and increasing threats to democratic processes as well as a global trend of rising authoritarianism. More than anything, this has highlighted the need to work together and strengthen existing partnerships in 2022 and the years to come.
Given this context, it has become particularly appropriate to organise a dialogue that will identify projects and activities towards advancing Africa’s and the EU’s global development agenda, notably in view of the EU-AU summit of the 14th – 18th February 2022.
The overall objective of this event was to jointly discuss the prospects of cooperation between the EU and African Union in the domain of Election Observation and Electoral Assistance, targeting strengthening of election integrity, human rights and inclusive political participation in 2022-2023 and beyond, particularly in countries facing political transition.
This event will be hosted at the Residence Palace, in Brussels, Belgium and will feature renowned global Diplomats, Experts and public figures.
The 3-hour event will feature three panel sessions focused on the following:
1. Italian and European partnership with Africa on democracy consolidation and support through the Innov-Elections project
2. National inclusive dialogues and Elections in democratic transition: the importance of Peace Mediation in electoral processes
3. The future of Africa - EU partnership for good governance in 2022 and 2023: how to strengthen electoral processes to consolidate democracy and prevent conflicts.
The high-level meeting will bring together, among others:
- Romano Prodi: the former Italian Prime Minister and Former President of the European Commission;
- Maria Sereni: Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation of the Italian Republic;
- Bankole Adeoye: African Union Commissioner for Political Affairs, Peace and Security;
- Emanuela Del Re: EU Special Representative for the Sahel;
- Christina Kokkinakis: Director for Values and Multilateral Relations / Deputy Managing Director of Managing Directorate Global;
- Chiara Adamo: Director, Human Development, Migration, Governance & Peace International Partnership European Commission;
- Mr. Calixte Aristide Mbari: Ag. Director, Governance and Conflict Prevention, African Union Commission;
- Gilbert B. Bawara: Minister of Public Administration, Labour and Social Dialogue
Furthermore, the meeting will be attended by Members of the European Parliament connected from Strasburg and representatives of the European Commission and Parliament, the European Peace Building Liaison Office, and the European Centre for Electoral Support.
This event is jointly supported by Italy's Ministry of Foreign Office, the European Commission and the African Union as well as with the patronage of the Presidency of the Council of Ministers of Italy.
It is streamed live via YouTube and also on ECES' Facebook page.
Ahead of this conference, Fabio Bargiacchi, Founder and Executive Director, European Centre for Electoral Support was on Friday, 11th February 2022 featured on the Afrika-Europa transmission titled “Les perspectives de cooperation UE – UA pour le soutien electoral en Afrique”. He was joined in this transmission by Carlos Zorrinhno, Member of the European Parliament, Fabrizio Lobasso, Sub-Saharan Africa Deputy Director and Head of the greater horn of Africa Division at the Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Calixte Aristide Mbari, Ag. Director, Governance and Conflict prevention, African Union Commission and Filiberto C. Sebregondi. Journalists, Mona Mpembele and Jean Boole moderated the discussions.